Welcome

This blog is about two friends, miles apart, striving to pattern our lives after the Proverbs 31 woman. Here you will find our daily journeys, whether serious, funny, practical, or inventive. Thanks for stopping by and we hope you'll stop by often!

~Lauren & Page

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bearing a Loss and Learning His Will...

I'd like to start this post with a passage from God's Holy, Perfect Word...

2 Samuel 12

16David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth.

17And the elders of his house arose, and went to him, to raise him up from the earth: but he would not, neither did he eat bread with them.

18And it came to pass on the seventh day, that the child died. And the servants of David feared to tell him that the child was dead: for they said, Behold, while the child was yet alive, we spake unto him, and he would not hearken unto our voice: how will he then vex himself, if we tell him that the child is dead?

19But when David saw that his servants whispered, David perceived that the child was dead: therefore David said unto his servants, Is the child dead? And they said, He is dead.

20Then David arose from the earth, and washed, and anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came into the house of the LORD, and worshipped: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set bread before him, and he did eat.

21Then said his servants unto him, What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread.

22And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?

23But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

24And David comforted Bathsheba his wife...


Just recently, I had a dear friend who lost a child.


The words don't hardly come to me on how to express my sorrow for their loss...


My heart broke deeply over this little one, as I had spent many a time in prayer about her--morning, through out the day, and sleepless nights thinking and pleading to The Almighty, Perfect God about her. She had been very sick for a while...


It was actually just right before her passing that The Lord led me to the above passage. I had never read it until then, or at least read it with someone deeply burdened on my heart this way before... And was comforted to hear it again at her funeral... So I wanted to share it with you.


I want to say upfront that I have not personally experienced the loss of a child. And I don't want to come across as an "expert on the matter". I can never fully comprehend what any parent that has experienced the loss of a child has gone through. I don't ever want to. I would not wish that for anyone. But, I do hope that if anyone that has experienced this hardship in their lives, they can see what God's Flawless Word says about it... It's just something that has been on my heart...


God is an Amazing God. His ways are higher. His thoughts are pure, righteous, and flawless.


Isaiah 55:8-9

8For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the LORD.

9For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.


We can't always understand why God allows certain things in our lives and the lives of those close to us. That's because we are not perfect.


Romans 3:23

23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God


God knows everything--from start to finish. He is omniscient (all knowing), omnipresent (always present), omnipotent (all-powerful). He is perfect. His way is perfect. His will is perfect.


Psalm 18:30

30As for God, His way is perfect: the Word of the LORD is tried...


God has a plan and purpose for all things.


Ecclesiastes 3

1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

10I have seen the travail, which God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised in it.

11He hath made every thing beautiful in His time: also He hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

14I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before Him.


Because God is perfect, we have to trust His plan and His will for our lives.


Psalm 31:14-15

14But I trusted in Thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God.

15My times are in Thy hand...


God loves us. And nothing can separate His Children from Him.


Romans 8:35, 37-39

35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

37Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him that loved us.

38For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

39Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


He guides and provides.


Proverbs 3:5-6

5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.


Romans 8:32

32He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?


He is God.


I can't say that I have never struggled with some of these things. Accepting something that I believe should be a certain way--but isn't. But, I am a sinner--imperfect, flawed, and blemished... God is perfect. His Word sets the standard--and clearly tells me that it's not my will be done, it's His. And there is NO better way for ANYTHING to be done.


I am learning to trust God and His plan for my life. It sounds scary--but remember, when you give your life over to God--you're giving your life to a PERFECT, HOLY GOD, that loves us in ways we can't even understand and wants the best for us--not just now, but eternally.


Trust and believe in God. In every situation and circumstance, rest and find true peace in Him.


Some past posts that may help:


"The Joy of the Lord is my Strength" For verses that remind us about keeping our joy--always, in every situation.


"How Big is God?" There is nothing to compare to God. HE IS GOD. There is none bigger, nothing greater.


"Lord, Thank You" A biblical reminder of what the Lord has done for us and for you...


"Why I Believe in Jesus" Foundation of belief in Christ. Are you one of those in doubt?


"I'm SO very thankful..." Have YOU experienced this so great salvation? The salvation that ONLY Christ can give? Do you know that your sins are forgiven? Do you know where you will spend eternity? There is nothing in and of ourselves that we can do, it is ALL through Jesus Christ, for He is the only way!


Just one last thing before this post ends... A measure of comfort for those who have experienced loss and for those who will... From the verses above:


22And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?

23But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again?I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.


"I shall go to him." How powerful. How beautiful. For those of us who have experienced salvation--that only comes from God through Jesus Christ--we shall go to them.


God is Amazing. Gracious and Holy. Perfect and Righteous. Loving and my Father.


Amen.


~Page



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I just read about David in my devotions this week and have been watching my friends all around me lose their children. I don't understand why but may God be glorified!

    ReplyDelete