Welcome

This blog is about two friends, miles apart, striving to pattern our lives after the Proverbs 31 woman. Here you will find our daily journeys, whether serious, funny, practical, or inventive. Thanks for stopping by and we hope you'll stop by often!

~Lauren & Page

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Proverbs 31:17 "She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms."

I NEVER, EVER, EVER thought that I would be making my own laundry detergent. However, I happened to watch a documentary on all the chemicals found in store bought detergents, etc. I was horrified! Chemical laden products are SO bad for us!! Can you say, TOXIC??!? That is another post altogether!

Anyway, thanks to my amazing, brilliant, wonderful, and ingenius friend, Page, I now make my own laundry detergent and LOVE it!!
It works, smells great, is economical, consists of only 3 ingredients, and I am never going back!

Now that you want to know the recipe, it is as follows: :-D


-1/2 cup Arm & Hammer washing soda (found at Ace hardware, some grocery stores)
-1/2 cup Borax (found at Wal-mart)
-1 bar of
Fels Naptha bar soap, (must be grated, do it yourself or buy it that way) (found at Ace Hardware)

These are the only ingredients. Pretty easy huh? Now, if you want to make a double batch (which I highly recommend) then you'd simply double the recipe to-

1c Washing soda
1c Borax
2 bars Fels Naptha, grated

Triple, quadruple, this recipe if you so desire.

Now I did not happen to buy the Fels Naptha grated, so I must do it myself. If you have a food processor, then use it to grind the soap. If not, than you must succumb to an amazing arm workout by grating it yourself (or use it as punishment and have your kids do it! -muahahaha)

It really isn't that bad, and quite worth the effort! Grate, or chop and place into food processor. Whatever you do, you MUST grate the soap!

Now that we're clear on this. :-) Here is what it might look like....but hopefully yours is finer ground. Mine actually turned out a bit bigger than I wanted, due to the fact that I do NOT own a food processor.....yet. ;-)

The good news is that my beautiful HE washer has NO problem breaking these little pills down, thankfully! Whew!

** Yes, this homemade laundry detergent IS safe for HE washers - *Fels Naptha* is a low suds soap.**


Add your borax and washing soda to the Fels Naptha and mix. Voila! So easy, even a cave woman could do it! (sorry, that was quite lame)


Store in your favorite, pink, air tight container. ha! Use 1-2 tablespoons per load, we prefer 2tbls.

My husband and I were both a bit skeptical on how well we'd like this homemade detergent. I have to say that we LOVE it! Our clothes smell very fresh and clean every time!! Give it a try! You'll be so glad you did!! You'll feel extra proud of yourself, knowing that YOU did this, while saving your family money!

Oh and it's also nice to know EXACTLY what is in your laundry detergent.

I'm off to do some laundry! Yay!


~Lauren

10 comments:

  1. The Fels Naptha also works as a great stain remover! Just rub the bar on the stains and throw it in the wash. It took an old dark stain out of my daughter's sweater and there is not a trace of stain left.

    Also, you can add a drop or two of an essential oil into the wash to add some nice scent to the clothes. My hubs works around jet fuel and just using the detergent without an essential oil, doesn't get the smell out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really looking forward to trying this!!! With 5 kids we go through a lot of laundry!!! thank you for sharing! (sorry it is posted as anonymous - couldn't figure out how to work it any other way!)
    Heather Brenenstuhl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great tips, Amy. Thanks! We plan to do a post on the many uses of essential oils, they are wonderful!!

    Heather, I would definitely recommend making big batches to accommodate your family -just to make it easier. :-D If it were me, I'd probably multiply this recipe by 5+, just to make it last for a while. (and I'd buy the Fels Naptha grated, or invest in a food processor - ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I've been waiting for this post! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Curious...What do you use for a fabric softener?

    ReplyDelete
  6. All you have to use for fabric softener is 1/2 c. or so of distilled, white vinegar! YOUR CLOTHES DO NOT SMELL LIKE VINEGAR. You can add essential oils also to the vinegar if you want to add a scent to your clothing. I use d.w. vinegar for everything, so I buy it at Walmart by the gallon!

    ~Page

    ReplyDelete
  7. All you have to use for fabric softener is 1/2 c. or so of distilled, white vinegar! YOUR CLOTHES DO NOT SMELL LIKE VINEGAR. You can add essential oils also to the vinegar if you want to add a scent to your clothing. I use d.w. vinegar for everything, so I buy it at Walmart by the gallon!

    ~Page

    ReplyDelete
  8. The next time I need laundry detergent I will definitely try this! With our second baby due soon I like to use the gentlest and safest stuff possible... plus, saving money always helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Check here on our blog for a fabric softener recipe: http://achievingproverbs31.blogspot.com/2010/08/homemade-fabric-softener.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone also suggested using the dollar store brand of oxyclean to keep things whiter! Am planning to try this as soon as I can find the washing soda (the only Ace Hardware I know of is downtown andI can't get to it because the roads are torn up :-( !
    Heather Brenenstuhl

    ReplyDelete