Welcome

This blog is about two friends, miles apart, striving to pattern our lives after the Proverbs 31 woman. Here you will find our daily journeys, whether serious, funny, practical, or inventive. Thanks for stopping by and we hope you'll stop by often!

~Lauren & Page

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Greek Turkey Burgers





Greece is definitely one of my dream places to visit, and on my "bucket list" of course. I'm sure you've seen many pictures similar to the one above - brilliant blue ocean contrasting against the alabaster white villages. Ahh, I would LOVE to go there!
In addition to the breathtaking scenery, I'm sure I'd love the food. We love Mediterranean cuisine and my cooking often reflects that style. These Greek Turkey Burgers are a tribute to my love of Mediterranean food- and Greece!

I'm sure you're like me and get tired of the same old boring burger -don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but sometimes I want a burger with a little more pizazz. I love coming up with new recipes, or simply putting my own twist on them. Here's a recipe I got from a Taste of Home magazine a few years ago, but have changed it up to our liking.

~Greek Turkey Burgers~

Ingredients:

2lb Ground Turkey
1lb Ground Beef
1/2 c Kalamata Olives, chopped
1/2 Red onion, chopped
Seasoning of your choice, liberally!
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped

Mix together with your hands and form into "mini burgers". Grill or cook to your preference.

Now, you will need:

Pita bread
Feta Cheese, crumbled
Avocado, lightly salted
Mayo
Minced Garlic
sauteed mushrooms
Arugula (or lettuce of choice)

Additional yummy garnishes: tomatoes, cucumbers, sprouts, bell pepper, banana peppers, pepper jack cheese, fresh spinach, etc.


Take Pita Bread and cut in half, making 2 pockets. Take your mayo and crush garlic into it, adding a bit of salt to taste. Some may like more or less so this garlic mayo is really to be created to your taste. Spread on insides of pita pockets, and then proceed to spread avocado inside as well. Sprinkle with feta, and place mini burgers into pocket. Complete with sauteed mushrooms and peppery arugula (or lettuce of choice). Feel free to add or omit whatever you like. If you have cucumbers or tomatoes on hand, those would work perfectly as well! There are so many possibilities, unfortunately your pita pocket will only hold so much (trust me, I speak from experience).

This will be one of the most flavorful sandwiches you will ever eat! It's definitely a favorite at our house!!


~Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment